Re: Need a mentor, and a project. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Need a mentor, and a project.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> But unless the item is linked to a mailing
> list thread that already shows a consensus about the feature, you need
> to start with a discussion about a plan.

And realistically, even if the item is so linked, someone new to the
project still shouldn't just plow away on it without asking for
confirmation first anyway.  There are many things on the TODO list that
everyone would like to see fixed, the problem is well defined and
unambiguous, but the way the solution needs to be structured is much
harder than is obvious.  As a simplest example, we regularly have people
show up with patches where the "solution" was "just add threading to the
back-end here..." which might seem completely reasonable to someone
new--but it will never get committed.

greg@2ndQuadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com