Re: YAML Was: CommitFest status/management - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: YAML Was: CommitFest status/management
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Smith wrote:
> That's a step backwards.  By providing JSON format, we've also satisfied
> people who want YAML.  Ripping out JSON would mean we *only* support
> YAML.  There are far many more JSON parsers than YAML parsers, which is
> why I thought the current code committed was good enough.

XML parsers are common enough IMHO the other computer readable formats
can't be that important from a computer-readability perspective, leaving
their main benefit as being human friendly.

I like YAML output; but I think the most compelling arguments against the
patch are that if so many people want different formats it may be a good
use case for external modules.  And far more than yaml output, I'd like
to see a flexible module system with an equivalent of "cpan install yaml"
or "gem install yaml".

I suppose one could argue that instead of YAML we design a different
human-oriented format for loosely structured data; but that seems
even harder.