Re: [patch] pg_ctl init extension - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: [patch] pg_ctl init extension
Date
Re: [patch] pg_ctl init extension  (Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM>)
List pgsql-hackers
I just noticed that there was an updated patch here that never made its
way onto the CommitFest app listing.  I just fixed that and took a quick
look at it.  I was in favor of this code change, but I have to say even
I don't really like how it ended up getting documented--and I'm sure
there are others would be downright hostile toward it.

The biggest problem is that all of the places that used to say
"<command><initdb>" when talking about creating a cluster now just say
"database cluster initialization"--with no link to a section covering
that topic.  That's not a good forward step.  The part I'm more
favorable toward that I expect other people to really cringe at is that
the examples showing how to manually run initdb have all been switched
to use "pg_ctl initdb" too.

If we're going to have a smooth transition toward supporting both styles
of working in the next release, I think what needs to happen to the
documentation here is adding a very clear section saying that "initdb"
and "pg_ctl initdb" are the same thing, and noting why both forms
exist.  Maybe a short note in both pg_ctl and initdb pointing at each
other; not sure yet what's best.  Then update all the current places
that say "initdb" that have been rewritten in this doc patch to
"database cluster initialization" to reference things appropriate still.

Going as far as making all the examples exclusively use the pg_ctl form
right now is probably more than the community at large wants to handle
just yet I suspect.  At best, maybe we could make some or all of those
either use both forms, or link them to the new discussion of
alternatives section.

I'm glad we made some progress (and are basically at code complete now)
on this patch this round.  Given that this patch doesn't have a large
amount of support, I think that the remaining work here is fine-tuning
the documentation to cover the new option available without introducing
and abrupt change people won't like.  I'm going to mark this "returned
with feedback" for now since I think that's going to take a bit more
work than we really have time for right now, particularly given the
limited number of people who care about this change.  Zdenek, once this
CommitFest clears out, I can help out with getting the documentation
parts here smoothed over so this is in proper shape to commit during the
next one; I don't think there's anything left you need to do.

greg@2ndQuadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com