Re: Order by (for 15 rows) adds 30 seconds to query time - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Order by (for 15 rows) adds 30 seconds to query time
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 2/12/2009 7:08 PM, Matthew Wakeling wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Dec 2009, Jean-Michel Pouré wrote:
>> PostgreSQL query analyzer needs to run a couple of times before it can
>> rewrite and optimize the query. Make sure demand_id, id and join IDs
>> carry indexes.
>
> Huh? At what point does the planner carry over previous plans and use
> them to further optimise the query?
>
> But perhaps the biggest factor here is calling a five table join a
> "pretty simple query".

Some of those tables are views composed of multiple unions, too, by the
looks of things.

Doesn't the planner have some ... issues ... with estimation of row
counts on joins over unions? Or is my memory just more faulty than usual?

--
Craig Ringer