Re: bytea and text - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Jean-Yves F. Barbier
Subject Re: bytea and text
Date
List pgsql-novice
Kris Kewley a écrit :
> Some interesting points were made. Depending on the roadmap for you
> application consideration should be given to storing the image files
> outside of the db.
>
> IMO the driving factors here are:
> 1. Scalability
> 2. Version control of images
> 3. Backup
> 4. Performance
>
> Including images in your db will accerlate it's growth. You noted legal
> concerns, version control is typically an important aspect of this. Back
> up and restore time will increase as db size is larger, and will be more
> costly (assume db on more expensive disk than file server). Finally
> performance.. Blobs typically increase disk io on queries (at least they
> do in oracle) so should be used judicially in heavily accessed tables.

These tables are not heavily accessed: they're linked to heavily accessed
other tables.
They only contains an id, a RI, a pic_nb and a bytea.
Pictures are practically never upgraded and jettisoned when obsolete.

> Realize that I have made some wild assumptions about your app here, but
> this is my experience.
>
> Consider a link in your db and using cvs for storing the images, or
> filesystem depending on the extent of to your needs.

NO, I want only one backup solution, not one for each case; and perfs are
only needed for other tables.

> I too stand to be corrected :-)

I see, you're doing BDSM :D

JY