Re: limiting resources to users - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jean-Yves F. Barbier
Subject Re: limiting resources to users
Date
List pgsql-general
Bill Moran a écrit :

>> Hi:
>>
>> Is there a way in Postgres to limit how much cpu, memory, other resources a
>>certain DB gets?  A MySQL DB that I'm now replacing with PG has been having
>>problems with run-away users that pound one DB with intense processes running
>>periodically in cron jobs.  The effect is that it takes up all the resources
>> and the users of other DBs suffer because the CPU is pegged servicing the first guy..
>>
>> The PG versio will have one PG instance with many DBs.  One set of these DBs are vital for operations and should
havethe highest priority.  Another set of DBs are not vital but their users are the culprits that consume all the
resources. I want to give DBs A, B, and C the highest priority, DBs D, E, F the lowest.  If a DB F user is taking up
allthe resources, and a DB B users runs a query, I want to service the DB B guys first and backburner the DB F guy
untilthe DB B guy is serviced first.

> You can try various tricks with nice.  Have you conclusively determined that
> the bottlenecked resource is CPU?  In my experience, it's much more likely
> to be disk IO, and nice doesn't help with that.

I agree, unless you use SCSI 640 with SSD front cache, HDz are always the
bottleneck.

> A better solution would probably be to buy a second database server.  Put
> the mission-critical DBs on one physical system and the rest on another
> system and your problem goes away.  Honestly, you might want to consider
> this anyway, since it seems like your existing system is nearing overload
> if it can't maintain reasonable performance during concurrent loads.

or may be using virtual machines (with a minimum daemons running on each),
this way you'll be able to fine tweak each server (and also each Qty of RAM),
but you'll need much power available, as usual YMMV.

JY
--
BOHICA:
    Bend over, here it comes again.