Re: PG_STANDBY ISSUE - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: PG_STANDBY ISSUE
Date
List pgsql-general
akp geek wrote:
> Hi experts -
>
>                 I am running into issue with pg_standby. May be my
> understanding is not correct. Please help. here is what I did .
>

>    1.     I made changes in the postgresql.conf  ( archive_mode = on
>    ,archive_command = 'cp -i %p /opt/postgres/archive/%f' , archive_timeout =
>    60s )
>    2.     pg_ctl start -D $PGDATA -l /opt/postgres/logfile
>    3.    postgres=# select pg_start_backup('BKP_LBL');
>    4.    I have done the base backup  and I have used the following command
>    for restore in the recovery.conf
>    5.   restore_command = 'pg_standby -d -s 3 -t
>    /tmp/pg_standby.trigger.5432 /opt/postgres/archive/%f %p %r'

From memory, do you not want a space between ".../archive/" and "%f" - I
think they're separate parameters.

Also, you'll want to redirect STDERR to a file - add the following to
the end of the command: 2>>/tmp/standby.log

That way we'll be able to see what's happening.

>    6.  postgres=# select pg_stop_backup();
>    7. Now I have made some changes to the master database  and I waited for
>    30 minutes

Or just generate lots of changes so WAL files get filled.

>    8. I have stopped the master database
>    9. I have started the slave. But I did not find the changes I have done
>    after I issued the command  elect pg_stop_backup();

>    10. The log files have shipped to archive folder

Good. That's a useful fact. Let's see if anything shows up in our
standby logfile once we have it.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd