Re: Union test case broken in make check? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Emmanuel Cecchet
Subject Re: Union test case broken in make check?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Kenneth Marshall <ktm@rice.edu> writes:
>
>> Without an order by, the order is not defined.
>>

> Yeah, but with the same data and the same software it should generally
> give the same result; as evidenced by the fact that these same
> regression tests have worked for most people for years.  There's
> something odd happening on Emmanuel's machine.  Maybe he's changed
> the hashing algorithms or some planner cost parameters?

I did not change anything to Postgres and I can reproduce the problem
with a vanilla checkout of HEAD. However, I think I started to see the
problem since my last VMWare and OS upgrade (unfortunately I did both
simultaneously).

For info, I am using VMWare Workstation v6.5.3 build-185404 on Vista
6.0.60002 SP2. The VM is an Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) with a 2.6.28-16 SMP
kernel on x86_64 (2 cores available for the VM, 4 cores total). gcc is
4.3.3 (Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4).

Let me know if you need additional info about my setup.

Emmanuel

--
Emmanuel Cecchet
Aster Data