Re: Summary and Plan for Hot Standby - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Summary and Plan for Hot Standby
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>> Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
>>> Sorry for confusion. My example is under normal PostgreSQL, not under
>>> HS enabled.
>
>> You get the same result in standby:
>
> AFAICT Tatsuo's example just shows that we might wish to add a check
> for read-only transaction mode before parsing an INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE
> command.  But it seems relatively minor in any case --- at the worst
> you'd get an unexpected error message, no?

Right, it's harmless AFAICS. And it might actually be useful to be able
to prepare all queries right after connecting, even though the
connection is in not yet read-write.

It's the documentation (in source code or README) that's lacking, and
perhaps we should add more explicit checks for the "can't happen" cases,
just in case.