Re: safelly erasing dirs/files - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: safelly erasing dirs/files
Date
List pgsql-general
Joao Ferreira gmail wrote:
> vacuum/reindex is saying: I can't do it cause I have no space :(
> how do I un-bloat the /var partition ? this is why I was considering
> rm !!!!

I've gotten out of this situation before by finding other files in /var
to delete, using something like this to figure out where the big stuff
was at:

du -sk | sort -n

And then once a little room was available, using CLUSTER starting on the
smallest tables, identified with a query like the one at
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Disk_Usage except with different LIMITs
on it.  Once some of those are shrunk, you might be able to work your
way up to bigger ones.

greg@2ndQuadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com