Re: Customize the install directory of the postgres DB - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Customize the install directory of the postgres DB
Date
List pgsql-general
weixiang tam wrote:
> As we are bundling the postgresql db as our product release, we would
> like to keep the Postgres executable dir, Data Dir under our product
> folder. In this case, could I know whether I can customize the install
> directory when i do the RPM installation?
What you'd probably like to have here is what's called a relocatable
RPM.  The RPMs provided for PostgreSQL are not relocatable.  There's an
intro to how to restructure and rebuild a RPM to make it relocatable at
http://rpm.org/max-rpm/s1-rpm-reloc-building-relocatable.html ; it will
take several hours of work (most of which are spent waiting for
PostgreSQL to compile while re-testing) in order to do something similar
to the PostgreSQL RPMs.

It's painful enough you may just settle for a RPM that gets built with
the directory of your application passed in instead, which reduces the
trouble a bit (but not completely).

greg@2ndQuadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com