Re: Postgres Clustering Options - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ben Chobot
Subject Re: Postgres Clustering Options
Date
Re: Postgres Clustering Options  (David Kerr <dmk@mr-paradox.net>)
List pgsql-general
What are you trying to protect against? Software failure? Hardware
failure? Both?

Depending on your budget, you could theoretically point any number of
failover nodes at a san, so long as you make sure only one of them is
running postgres at a time. Of course, you still have the single point
of failure in the SAN. If you aren't made of money and are running
linux, we've found DRBD is a great way to cluster two machines and it
avoids a few single points of failure. But you limit yourself to two or
three cluster nodes.

What are you trying to achieve with your offsite node? Is it supposed to
pick up the load if the cluster dies?