Re: WAL shipping to two machines (PITR) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Geoffrey
Subject Re: WAL shipping to two machines (PITR)
Date
List pgsql-general
Geoffrey wrote:
> Geoffrey wrote:
>> We currently have a PITR solution in place that is facilitated via WAL
>> shipment.  This is implemented on 13 databases, where the two primary
>> machines which contain the production databases and the PITR machine
>> are physically located in the same facility.
>>
>> We now want to add a second PITR machine that is in a remote location.
>> The question is, what is the best solution for such an effort?  We've
>> considered shipping the wal files to both locations, but the concern
>> is that if one fails, how do we maintain the other?
>>
>> We've considered rsync the shipped wal files, to the remote machine,
>> but that entails some delicate timing issues.
>>
>> Any suggestions, pointers would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Bad taste to respond to my own post, oh well.
>
> So, I'm thinking the proper approach to this is to set pg_standby on one
> PITR to not remove archived WAL files and set the second PITR machine to
> remove them.  Obviously, there would be a problem if the second PITR
> machine were to remove an archive before it was processed by the first,
> but the second machine would be the remote machine, so the possibility
> of this happening should be low.  On the other hand, there is the issue
> of the first PITR machine being shutdown for any period of time, thus
> losing an archive file.
>
> Again, any thoughts on such an approach would be greatly appreciated.
> I've googled this thing, but no joy, but could be poor google foo.

I should RTFM before posting.  It appears that this parameter to
pg_standby (-k) is deprecated, so is likely not a good approach to this
problem.

Again, any pointers to working solutions would be greatly appreciated.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin