Re: Problem with database performance, Debian 4gb ram ? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Problem with database performance, Debian 4gb ram ?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Please keep the list copied.

Grant Masan <grant.massan@gmail.com> wrote:

> CREATE FUNCTION ... RETURNS SETOF ...

> FOR ... IN SELECT ... LOOP

>     FOR ... IN SELECT ... LOOP

> FOR ... IN SELECT ... LOOP
>
>                 RETURN NEXT text_output;
>
>             END LOOP;
>     END LOOP;
>     END LOOP;

I don't have time to work through the logic of all this to try to
discern what your goal is; but in my experience, such procedural code
can usually be rewritten as a single query.  The results are typically
orders of magnitude better.

> SELECT * FROM info_tool(linest,date,date)

> "Function Scan on info_tool  (cost=0.00..260.00 rows=1000 width=108)
> (actual time=437712.611..437712.629 rows=14 loops=1)"
> "Total runtime: 437712.686 ms"

To get useful information you need EXPLAIN ANALYZE from statements
inside the function, not of the execution of the function.

-Kevin