Re: pg_stat_activity howto - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: pg_stat_activity howto
Date
List pgsql-admin
jo <jose.soares@sferacarta.com> wrote:

> 1) there are some queries running for 14 days, I tried to delete
>    them without success.why they are there for 14 days? what are
>    they doing? is there a way to remove them safely?

Those are idle connections which have not started a query in 14 days.
The safest way to close them is for the client which opened them to do
so, although I'm not sure why you feel it is important.

> 2) some times the current_query column show: "<IDLE>", sometimes
>    show: "<IDLE> in transaction" and sometimes it show the query
>    string.  what those values mean?

If a query is currently running, you will see the start of it.  If no
query is running on a connection, the connection will show '<IDLE>' or
'<IDLE> in transaction' depending on whether the client has started a
database transaction on that connection.  While a transaction remains
open it can interfere with the work of other connections, including
some important maintenance activities (particularly VACUUM), so if
connections linger in '<IDLE> in transaction' state for a long time,
you should investigate.  It is normally a client-side programming bug.

> 3) Sometimes the xact_start column show a timestamp and sometimes
>    no.  what this mean?

If a transaction isn't active on a connection, transaction start time
is not applicable.

> 4) whay the waiting column is all the time False even when the
>    query seems in transaction?

This flag indicates whether the connection is waiting on a lock held
by some other PostgreSQL process.

> 5) what's the difference between query_start and backend_start?

Each connection has its own back end process, so the former indicates
the last time a query started on the connection, which the latter
indicates when the connection was made.

-Kevin