Re: EOL for 7.4? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: EOL for 7.4?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Simon,

>  Why are we not even willing to ask
> whether someone is willing? It all seems very strange to me.

Mostly because, I think, nobody can picture how this would be structured
or where the people would come from.  Surely a "7.4 maintainer" would do
only one platform?   Or only source?  Can we call 7.4 a "maintained"
version if it's only patched for Debian?

Also, given the other needs we have for technical skills, this would
depend on finding people who were good enough to put out stable packages
for 7.4, but wasn't interested in contributing to the project in any
other way.  If these people are available for other tasks, we'd *far*
rather have them testing 8.5, reviewing code, updating drivers, writing
docs, making tools, etc.

So I don't think that anyone is opposed to your proposal, they just
don't (or at least I don't) see a practical way to pursue it.

--Josh Berkus