Re: EOL for 7.4? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: EOL for 7.4?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> >  Why are we not even willing to ask
> > whether someone is willing? It all seems very strange to me.
>
> Mostly because, I think, nobody can picture how this would be structured
> or where the people would come from.  Surely a "7.4 maintainer" would do
> only one platform?   Or only source?  Can we call 7.4 a "maintained"
> version if it's only patched for Debian?

Only if you turn off the buildfarm for them.

> Also, given the other needs we have for technical skills, this would
> depend on finding people who were good enough to put out stable packages
> for 7.4, but wasn't interested in contributing to the project in any
> other way.  If these people are available for other tasks, we'd *far*
> rather have them testing 8.5, reviewing code, updating drivers, writing
> docs, making tools, etc.

These are currently hypothetical problems. Some people may care, if so,
they can work out the problems. We might find some people that are
willing to take on responsibility and grow into the role. We will
probably end up with more new developers, not less.

> So I don't think that anyone is opposed to your proposal, they just
> don't (or at least I don't) see a practical way to pursue it.

Why not ask for volunteers and let them work it out?

Perhaps there are people not willing to receive the "kick in the pants"
you advocate elsewhere. Ask people, let them decide.