Re: EOL for 7.4? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: EOL for 7.4?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 10:04 -0800, Steve Crawford wrote:

> Users are, of course, free to use/self-support the software as they see
> fit. It's open-source, after all.

I've heard that a lot recently: "It's open source, after all".

Is this project not open source any more?

Surely this project should be encouraging people within the project to
take on new tasks. I don't think anybody should be forced to do anything
they don't want to do. So if particular developers want to avoid
patching certain releases, I respect that. But I don't see why *this*
project cannot allow others to take on the tasks those developers choose
not to perform. Why are we forcing people into a position where they
have to set up their own independent project, what others would call a
fork, in order to support software? Why are we not even willing to ask
whether someone is willing? It all seems very strange to me.