Re: Can't connect - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Can't connect
Date
List pgsql-general
Bob Pawley wrote:
> I am on Windows and am running an anti virus program. But I was running
> the same programs on Windows before without this problem.

Well, as long as you're happy you've ruled out your anti-virus, and
you're running 8.3.8 then you'll want to monitor it and next time it
happens record:
1. What connections are already open
2. Whether PG receives any connection attempt at all
3. Whether your a/v+firewall sees the connection attempt

Items 2,3 will require you to check that you are logging the right
information (PG can log connection and disconnection). You'll need to
consult your a/v manuals for details on its logging.

If PostgreSQL isn't accepting any connections then you can't connect and
list what others it has. You should be able to see each in Task Manager,
but probably something like sysinternals' "process explorer" will be
more useful. Check how many connections and whether any are unreasonably
large, hung etc. Ideally the developers would probably want to see
output from a debugger, but I'm guessing that's not straightforward on
Windows.

It's possible there is a corner case that the fix in 8.3.8 doesn't
handle and it would be useful to know.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd