Re: Operational performance: one big table versus many smaller tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Operational performance: one big table versus many smaller tables
Date
List pgsql-general
David Wall wrote:
> If I have various record types that are "one up" records that are
> structurally similar (same columns) and are mostly retrieved one at a
> time by its primary key, is there any performance or operational benefit
> to having millions of such records split across multiple tables (say by
> their application-level purpose) rather than all in one big table?

Probably doesn't matter if you're accessing by pkey (and hence index).
Certainly not when you're talking about a few million rows. Arrange your
tables so they have meaning and only change that if necessary.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd