How do you get the year from a postgresql DATE? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Mary Anderson
Subject How do you get the year from a postgresql DATE?
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi guys,

    Honest, I am not really a newbie, but I don't see any postgresql
function to do this in the documentation.  I want to do something like

CREATE TABLE mydate(fu DATE);
INSERT INTO mydate VALUES ('2000-01-01');
SELECT EXTRACT(YEAR FROM DATE fu) FROM mydate;

and get 2000.

But I get a syntax error for the EXTRACT statement when I do this.

SELECT EXTRACT(YEAR FROM DATE '2000-01-01') works just fine.  But how do
I get a postgres DATE from a column in a table into EXTRACT as the last
argument?

This can't be all that hard!

Mary