OpenACS vs Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject OpenACS vs Postgres
Date
List pgsql-hackers
OpenACS uses three compatibility settings in its recommended config, two
of which it has been proposed to remove.

I have been investigating all three.
      1. default_with_oids= true         While it's not proposed to remove this option, its use seems         quite
unnecessaryin OpenACS. AFAICS, the code uses oids on         exactly two tables, so these can be created with OIDS, and
the        flag turned off. The use it makes of OIDS is kludgey anyway,         but that need not concern us.      2.
regex_flavor= 'extended'         I have not found anywhere in the current release that actually         uses POSIX
regexmatching, so I suspect this was recommended         from an over abundance of caution, or else it was used in code
       that is no longer present.      3. add_missing_from = on         In a particularly hacky gadget, OpenACS creates
viewsthat         look like this:

             create view foo_seq as select nextval('real_foo_seq') as             nextval;
         which then lets them use Oracle-like syntax such as:
             select foo_seq.nextval from dual;
         relying on add_missing_from to do the right thing. I have         discussed this with my client that uses
OpenACS,and they will         patch OpenACS as necessary when they upgrade to Postgres 8.5         to remove this
kludge.

So, bottom line, I withdraw my objection to the proposed changes.
Personally, I'll be quite glad to see the back of add_missing_from, and
so will my client.

cheers

andrew