Re: Is FOR UPDATE an optimization fence? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Markus Wanner
Subject Re: Is FOR UPDATE an optimization fence?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Tom Lane wrote:
> It's an entirely trivial code change either way.  I'm inclined to think
> that we should prevent flattening, on the grounds of least astonishment.

Yeah, I also tend towards making FOR UPDATE an optimization fence
(that's how I understood the non-flattening approach). While it might
change behavior compared to previous versions, it doesn't force people
into writing kludges like OFFSET 0.

BTW: how do other databases deal with this? Anything of relevance in the
SQL standards?

Regards

Markus Wanner