Re: Best suiting OS - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Karl Denninger
Subject Re: Best suiting OS
Date
List pgsql-performance
Scott Carey wrote:

> On 10/5/09 10:27 AM, "Karl Denninger" <karl@denninger.net> wrote:
>

>> I don't run the 3x series 3ware boards.  If I recall correctly they're not
>> true coprocessor boards and rely on the host CPU.  Those are always going to
>> be a lose compared to a true coprocessor with dedicated cache memory on the
>> card.
>>
> I screwed up, it was the 95xx and 96xx that stink for me.  (Adaptec 2x as
> fast, PERC 6 25% faster) with 1TB SATA drives.
>
> Thought 96xx was a good chunk faster due to the faster interface.

I'm running the 9650s in most of my "busier" machines.  Haven't tried a
PERC card yet - its on my list.  Most of my stuff is configured as RAID
1 although I have a couple of RAID 10 arrays in service; depending on
the data set and how it splits up I prefer to have more control of how
I/O is partitioned rather than let the controller pick through striping.

I don't think I have any of the 95xx stuff out in the wild at present;
it didn't do particularly well in my testing in terms of performance.

-- Karl

Attachment