Re: Large fixed-width text - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Petr Jelinek
Subject Re: Large fixed-width text
Date
Re: Large fixed-width text  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-www
Bruce Momjian napsal(a): <blockquote cite="mid:200909261921.n8QJLJW08369@momjian.us" type="cite"><pre wrap="">Petr
wrap="">Whenreading our web-based server documentation in Ubuntu Firefox, I

have always seen overly-large fixed-width text.  In looking at our CSS
files, specifically text.css, I see:
#txtArchives pre {    font-size:150%;}#txtArchives tt {    font-size:150%;}

This certainly looks wrong, and explains what I am seeing.  Does anyone
know why it is there?

The actual code that is causing a problem in my browser is in
geckofixes.css:
amnot on www team but I bet it's because with 1em (100%) the text is

So why is that?  Is this a known bug in Firefox?  Is it documented?  Can
we apply the fix only to broken Firefox versions?  The lack of comments
defaultFF on Windows (not sure about other OSes, but on Jaunty my FF does it too), Safari, Chrome all choose 13px font
sizefor monospace and 16px for everything else (so maybe you changed default font size for monospaced fonts in your
FF?).And since we have 76% (docs) and 69% (primary web) body font sizes, they get inherited and monospace text is too
small(76% of those default 13px) and obvious fix is to make it larger and that's what we do. There are other ways to
fixthis. One is specifying exact font family and not monospace generic font family, but that changes font for people
whohave different default monospace font from what we choose and also since we are not using the monospace generic font
family(see why below), people who don't have any of the fonts we specify the won't have monospaced text at all in those
Andremove all those font-size hacks. One more way to fix it in Firefox (3.0+) is to use font-size-adjust : 0.58 for
pre,tt, code. Other browsers don't support this propery.<br /> So the real problem is Safari (Webkit). It switches to
smallerfont size once you specify monospace generic font family anywhere in the font-family property and it does not
supportfont-size-adjust.<br /> Opera does it differently, it just uses internal default stylesheet to make font-size
smaller(0.81em IIRC) for those elements that are monospaced by default (pre, tt, ...) so setting font-size : 1em is
enoughthere. IE seems to do something similar since it behaves the same, so no problem in either of those two.<br /><br
/>As you can see every browser does something different and finding universal solution is not easy.<br /><br /> Anyway
those#txtArchives pre and #txtArchives tt do not affect documentation but they indeed seem to be plain wrong, they are
actuallyonly used by Opera (and maybe Chrome , I don't have that browser) and the text looks huge there. In FF and
Safarithey are overwritten by<br /><div class="cssRule insertInto editGroup" role="presentation" ruleid="#pgContainer
code,#pgContainer pre, #pgContainer tt/3"><pre>#pgContainer code, #pgContainer pre, #pgContainer tt { font-size:
1.2em;
}
</pre></div> in geckofixes.css (yes it loads for Safari too on my machine and it's a good thing) and in IE they're
overwrittenby <br /><pre>* html #txtArchives pre { font-size: 100%; }

Regards
Petr Jelinek (PJMODOS)</pre>