Re: generic copy options - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Emmanuel Cecchet
Subject Re: generic copy options
Date
Re: generic copy options
Re: generic copy options
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
>> While I understand the need for the server to still support the syntax,
>> is it necessary for newer version of psql to support the old syntax?
>>

> psql has MORE need to support old syntax than the backend does, because
> it's supposed to work against old servers.

Well, I wonder how many users just upgrade psql vs upgrade the server. I
was thinking that when users perform a database upgrade their
application often remain the same and therefore the server needs to
support the old syntax. Unless you are upgrading a machine where a bunch
of psql-based scripts are running to update various remote Postgres
instances with older versions, I would guess that it is unlikely that
someone is going to upgrade psql and keep the old instance of the server
on the same machine.
I just wonder how many users are using a single psql to manage multiple
server instances of different older versions.
> I wonder though if we couldn't simplify matters.  Offhand it seems to me
> that psql doesn't need to validate the command's syntax fully.  All it
> really needs to do is find the target filename and replace it with
> STDIN/STDOUT.  Could we have it just treat the remainder of the line
> literally, and not worry about the details of what the options might be?
> Let the backend worry about throwing an error if they're bad.

As the only difference between \copy and copy seems to be the ability to
stream the file from the client, I guess that everything else should be
sent as is to the server as you suggest. I'll come with a patch for that
today.

Emmanuel

--
Emmanuel Cecchet