Re: new version of PQconnectdb was:(Re: [HACKERS] Determining client_encoding from client locale) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Chernow
Subject Re: new version of PQconnectdb was:(Re: [HACKERS] Determining client_encoding from client locale)
Date
In response to Re: new version of PQconnectdb was:(Re: [HACKERS] Determining client_encoding from client locale)  (Jaime Casanova <jcasanov@systemguards.com.ec>)
List pgsql-hackers
Jaime Casanova wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 12:01 AM, Jaime Casanova
> <jcasanov@systemguards.com.ec> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 10:00 AM, Heikki
>> Linnakangas<heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>> Could we
>>> have a version of PQconnectdb() with an API more suited for setting the
>>> params programmatically? The PQsetdbLogin() approach doesn't scale as
>>> parameters are added/removed in future versions, but we could have
>>> something like this:
>>>
>>> PGconn *PQconnectParams(const char **params)
>>>
>>> Where "params" is an array with an even number of parameters, forming
>>> key/value pairs. Usage example:
>>>

> i extracted the functions to connect that Heikki put on psql in his
> patch for determining client_encoding from client locale and put it in
> libpq so i follow the PQconnectdbParams(* params[]) approach.

I was following this and never saw any firm decision on the prototype
for this function.  Although, I can say the single argument version did
not appear to win any votes.

The below posts agreed on a two argument version of parallel arrays
(keywords, values):

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-09/msg00533.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-09/msg00559.php

There is also the idea of passing an array of structs floating around,
NULL terminated list or include an additional argument specifying
element count.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC