Re: Ragged CSV import - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Ragged CSV import
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
> I'd love to be able to do something like
>
>    INSERT into foo (x,y,z) select t[3],[t2],[t57] from (COPY RETURNING
>    t FROM stdin CSV);

Some IRC discussion suggested ways we could do better than that syntax.
I think my current preferred candidate is something like
   COPY foo (a,b,c)   FROM stdin   CSV   AS t USING (t[3],t[2],[t57]);

I'm not sure how we'd could plug a filter into that. Maybe a WHERE
clause? My immediate need at least doesn't actually involve filtering
anything - we load every line in the CSV into a temp table and then
filter what we load into the main tables after applying the business rules.

cheers

andrew