Re: BUG #5028: CASE returns ELSE value always when type is"char" - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: BUG #5028: CASE returns ELSE value always when type is"char"
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Sam Mason <sam@samason.me.uk> wrote:

>   CREATE VIEW v (c) AS
>     SELECT NULL;
>
> PG allows it, but the resulting view seems somewhat unusable.

I'm not sure whether the only place the standard doesn't require a
cast is on assignment, but this is one place that the standard clearly
does require a cast, and I'm all for that.  Requiring a cast anywhere
else the standard requires it would not offend me; although not
requiring it anywhere it doesn't generate nonstandard results, and
where the semantics are relatively sane, wouldn't offend me, either.

-Kevin