Re: Tightening binary receive functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Tightening binary receive functions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Heikki
> Linnakangas<heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> The most notable of these is the change to "char" datatype. The patch
>> tightens it so that it no longer accepts values >127 with a multi-byte
>> database encoding.
>
> That doesn't sound right to me. We accept casts from integer to "char"
> for all values in range (-128..127).

The patch limits that range to 0..127, with multibyte encodings.

> The question should be what the
> text representation should be since the raw bytes aren't valid mb
> encodings.

Hmm, perhaps we should follow what we did to chr() and ascii(): map the
integer to unicode code points if the database encoding is UTF-8, and
restrict the range to 0..127 for other multi-byte encodings.