Re: LWLock Queue Jumping - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: LWLock Queue Jumping
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Greg Stark wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 8:07 PM, Simon Riggs<simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>> WALInsertLock is heavily contended and likely always will be even if we
>>> apply some of the planned fixes.
>> I've lost any earlier messages, could you resend the raw data on which
>> this is based?
>
> I don't have any pointers right now, but WALInsertLock does often show
> up as a bottleneck in write-intensive benchmarks.

yeah I recently ran accross that issue with testing concurrent COPY
performance:

http://www.kaltenbrunner.cc/blog/index.php?/archives/27-Benchmarking-8.4-Chapter-2bulk-loading.html
discussed here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-06/msg01019.php

and (iirc) also here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-06/msg01133.php

however the general issue is easily visible in almost any write
intensive concurrent workload on a fast IO subsystem(ie
pgbench,sysbench,...).

Stefan