Re: BUG #5004: pg_freespacemap make a SegFault - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Sébastien Lardière
Subject Re: BUG #5004: pg_freespacemap make a SegFault
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 22/08/2009 19:52, hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 04:26:11PM +0000, Sebastien Lardiere wrote:
>
>> The following bug has been logged online:
>>
>> Bug reference:      5004
>> Logged by:          Sebastien Lardiere
>> Email address:      slardiere@hi-media.com
>> PostgreSQL version: 8.3.7
>> Operating system:   Debian Etch
>> Details:
>>
>> I've got a crash with a cluster. Nothing found in the logfile, but a message
>> about a Segfault, so I get a coredump and here is the backtrace :
>>
> Can you check if you had any vacuums running at the time of crash?

Yes, autovacuum is on. it wasn't "normal" vacuum during the crash, but
the last.

Nevertheless, the day before the first crash, I made a big delete on 23
millions of rows, and pg_freespacemap show a big increase of the number
of pages in FSM. Then, when the number of pages in FSM increase, Pg
crashes ; but :

> It might be in logs, something like:
> WARNING:  terminating connection because of crash of another server process
> DETAIL:  The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the current transaction and exit, because
anotherserver process exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
> HINT:  In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and repeat your command.
> STATEMENT:  vacuum
>
> if yes - how many vacuum jobs there were?

I never seen in the logs this messages with vacuum, Pg always crash with
the query :

"select count(*) as pages from pg_freespacemap_pages"

We can see in Munin ( graph attached ), the behavior :

The big increase, then, the first crash, and, a each time there is a
significat increase, a crash, with a reset of FSM.

I had disable the plugin, so there is no more queries with
pg_freespacemap, and no crash.

--
Sébastien Lardière

Attachment