Re: "Could not open relation XXX: No such file or directory" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Seth Gordon
Subject Re: "Could not open relation XXX: No such file or directory"
Date
List pgsql-general
Yaroslav Tykhiy wrote:
> By the way, `chkdsk' in Windows or `fsck' in Unix can, in a way, be a
> _source_ of file loss if the file metadata got damaged badly, e.g., by a
> system crash, and the file node has to be cleared.  So I've always been
> curious if there is a way to retrieve surviving records from a
> PostgreSQL database damaged by file loss.  Do you know any?  (Of course,
> the only true solution is to have been making backups beforehand, but...)

The Ubuntu Linux site has this page on data recovery (also applicable to
other Linux flavors):

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery

I assume that a database file, because of its structure, is harder to
recover after it becomes corrupt than, say, an XML file.  But any port
in a storm, right?