Re: JDBC broken connection against Postgres 8.4 - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From dmp
Subject Re: JDBC broken connection against Postgres 8.4
Date
List pgsql-jdbc

>As you see below, something seems....whacked. A simple loop with an unpooled connection (code provided below) often
givesan exception when connecting. The Thread.sleep statement has been made as high as 5000 ms, and exceptions still
sporadicallyoccur.

>I don't know if this is a JDBC driver issue or core server issue. Or something here. But the code is so simple....
>

>Single box test (client, server on same machine, accessing 127.0.0.1)
>Postgesql 8.4.01
>JDBC3 8.4.701 (also tried 8.3.603)
>Sun JDK 1.5_16
>Windows XP SP3, 2GB RAM, 64MB-1GB heap
>
>Code to reproduce:
>
> public static void main(String[] args) throws SQLException, InstantiationException, IllegalAccessException,
ClassNotFoundException,InterruptedException {

>        Connection con=null;
>        Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver").newInstance();
>        int count=0;
>        while (count < 250) {
>        try {
>            System.out.println(count);
>            con= DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:postgresql://localhost/retain","mjb","turnip");
>        } finally {
>            if (con != null) con.close();
>        }
>        Thread.sleep(2);
>        count++;
>        }
>    }

I'm unable to reproduce the exception on a common client with the two
PostgreSQL
8.3.x database configurations, one local the other on the network,
listed below.

All linux configurations

Client:

java version "1.5.0_12"
jdbc version: "postgresql-8.3-603"

Database Hosts:

Host: 127.0.0.1
-- Generated On: 2009.08.17 AD at 09:24:16 MDT
-- SQL version: PostgreSQL 8.3.3
-- Database: world

-- Host: cindy.dandymadeproductions.net
-- Generated On: 2009.08.17 AD at 09:10:41 MDT
-- SQL version: PostgreSQL 8.3.0
-- Database: world

danap