Re: machine-readable explain output v4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: machine-readable explain output v4
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Csaba Nagy wrote:
> Then why you bother calling it "machine readable" at all ? Would you
> really read your auto-explain output on the DB server ? I doubt that's
> the common usage scenario, I would expect that most people would let a
> tool extract/summarize it and definitely process it somewhere else than
> on the DB machine, with the proper tool set.

Sure I would. I look at log files almost every day to find out things.
Why should I have to wade through a pile of utterly unreadable crap to
find it?

Auto-explain lets you have *one* output format. To follow your approach,
I will have to change that, and have two log files, one machine
processable and one human readable. Triple bleah.

I have not suggested anything that would break the machine readability.
You seem to think that making the machine readable output remotely human
friendly is somehow going to detract from its machine processability.
But that's just silly, frankly. I do not want and should not have to
choose between a format that is machine readable and one that is to some
extent human readable.

cheers

andrew