Re: "Hot standby"? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: "Hot standby"?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> wrote:
> I'm not actually certain we can handle streaming synchronous mode to
> a standby slave. Does the slave need to have connections enabled to
> handle feeding wal sync status to the master?
I thought there were major concerns about the interaction of those
read-only queries with the replicated database transactions in
synchronous mode, too.  Following threads on the topic has left me a
little dubious that it can be truly synchronous, in the sense that it
must commit to the clone before the master returns an indication of
success to the client.  Are we still shooting for that or has
"synchronous" become shorthand for "we'll try really hard to keep the
lag minimal when we can"?
> I don't see any particular reason to come up with names for each of
> these combination of modes. I'm pretty happy just saying there are
> three different configuration options and certain options depend on
> other options so only certain combinations are legal.
Sounds reasonable to me.
-Kevin