Re: Table and Index compression - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Table and Index compression
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Pierre,

>     I added a field in PageHeader which contains :
>     - 0 to indicate a non-compressed page
>     - length of compressed data if compressed
>
>     If compression gains nothing (ie gains less than 4K), the page is
> stored raw.
>
>     It seems that only pages having a PageHeader are handled by md.c, so
> it should work (am I mistaken ?)

Well, there's the issue of upgradability; this would require us to have
an incompatible upgrade of on-disk formats.  So we don't want to go
further down this route unless we're sure it's worthwhile.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.