Re: slow commits with heavy temp table usage in 8.4.0 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Todd A. Cook
Subject Re: slow commits with heavy temp table usage in 8.4.0
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alex Hunsaker wrote:

>> FYI, on my 8.2.13 system, the test created 30001 files which were all
>> deleted during the commit. Â On my 8.4.0 system, the test created 60001
>> files, of which 30000 were deleted at commit and 30001 disappeared
>> later (presumably during a checkpoint?).
>
> Smells like fsm?

Yes, that was it.  30000 of the filenames ended with "_fsm".

> With double the number of files maybe something
> simple like turning on dir_index if you are ext3 will help?

Thanks for the tip.  Doing "tune2fs -O +dir_index" didn't seem to make
a difference, which is kinda expected for an existing directory.  When
I get a chance, I'll try to recreate the filesystem.

-- todd