Re: Re: [Pg-migrator-general] Composite types break pg_migrated tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Re: [Pg-migrator-general] Composite types break pg_migrated tables
Date
Re: Re: [Pg-migrator-general] Composite types break pg_migrated tables  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> preventing a clash might be fairly difficult.
>>

> Yeah, I was just thinking about that.  The easiest way to avoid
> collisions would be to make pg_dump (in --binary-upgrade mode)
> responsible for being sure that *every* new pg_type and pg_class row
> OID matches what it was in the old DB.  We could stop doing that
> once we have all the user tables in place --- I don't believe it's
> necessary to preserve the OIDs of user indexes.  But we need to
> preserve toast table OIDs, and toast table index OIDs too if those
> are created at the same time they are now (else we risk one of them
> colliding with a toast table OID we want to create later).
>
> Oh, and pg_enum rows too.
>
> It seems doable, but we're certainly not going to back-patch
> any such thing into 8.4 ...

Is there any danger that an oid used in, say, pg_enum in the old version
will be used in the catalog bootstrap in the new version?

cheers

andrew