Re: Problems when copy data from dump file - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Problems when copy data from dump file
Date
List pgsql-sql
Klas Stockhem wrote:
> Thanks for your mail!

Remember to cc: the mailing list too. Just hit "reply to all".

Oh, and perhaps don't top-quote. It makes it difficult for others to
follow the message.

> 1. Yes, the 5 and other text are at line 2 (a new line). I tried to put
> the whole command on the first line and execute it but I get same error:
>

> ERROR:  syntax error at or near "1"
> LINE 1: COPY artikkel (id, tittel, tekst) FROM stdin 1 test test;

No, the data needs to start on the line below COPY, but your first email  had a blank line there. Your message had:

Line 1: COPY artikkel (id, tittel, tekst) FROM stdin;
Line 2: (blank)
Line 3: 5 Slitasje og vedlikehold   PRAKTISKE OPPLYSNINGER

What you want is something like:
COPY artikkel (id, tittel, tekst) FROM stdin;
1<tab>Title one<tab>Some text
2<tab>Title two<tab>Some text
\.

Where the <tab> marks are real tabs.

> I have also separated the 1 and the "test-text" with tab. Is the syntax
> for the line 1 correct? I have read some about using DELIMITER. Do you
> have a suggestion how a can use this in the command?
>
> 2. Yes I have opened the dump file on in a windows system and copy+paste
> it into the phppgadmin web interface.

Hmm - reading the phppgadmin documentation, the FAQ says the following:  "Only uploaded SQL scripts can contain COPY
commandsand for this to

work, you must have PHP 4.2 or higher."

So - it looks like you should save the COPY script to a text-file and
upload it. I don't know how you do that, but it should be in the manual.
--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd