Re: character 0xe29986 of encoding "UTF8" has no equivalent in "LATIN2" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andreas Kalsch
Subject Re: character 0xe29986 of encoding "UTF8" has no equivalent in "LATIN2"
Date
Re: character 0xe29986 of encoding "UTF8" has no equivalent in "LATIN2"
List pgsql-general
Alban Hertroys schrieb:
> On 3 Aug 2009, at 20:32, Andreas Kalsch wrote:
>
>> Problem: Users will enter _any_ characters in my application and an
>> error really doesn't help in this case.
>

> I think the real problem is: Where do you lose the original encoding
> the users input their data with? If you specify that encoding on the
> connection and send it to a database that can handle UTF-8 then you
> shouldn't be getting any conversion problems in the first place.
Nowhere - I will validate input data on the client side (PHP or Python)
and send it to the server. Of course the only encoding I will use on any
side is UTF8. I just wnated to use this Latin thing for simplification
of characters. But it seems that there is no real solution in Postgres.
MySQL dies it automagically. You can search for "Hôtel" and get "hotel",
too.

So I want to use the simplification for indexing.

My question again: Is there a native Postgres solution to simplify
characters consistently? It means to completely remove all diacriticals
from Unicode characters.

> Alban Hertroys
>
> --
> If you can't see the forest for the trees,
> cut the trees and you'll see there is no forest.
Oh yes - we need to care about the forest and not about every single tree ;)