Re: WIP: to_char, support for EEEE format - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Euler Taveira de Oliveira
Subject Re: WIP: to_char, support for EEEE format
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Brendan Jurd escreveu:
> Hmm.  For what it's worth, I think Pavel makes a good point about the
> number of exponent digits -- a large chunk of the use case for numeric
> formatting would be fixed-width reporting.

But it doesn't cover all numbers in the interval. And in this case, all
numbers can be easily represented.

> Limiting to two exponent digits also has the nice property that the
> output always matches the length of the format pattern:
>
> 9.99EEEE
> 1.23E+02

I don't think neglecting to represent a valid number is a "nice property".
What does the length of format pattern have to do with output format?

--  Euler Taveira de Oliveira http://www.timbira.com/