Re: combining db's- importing primary keys - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris
Subject Re: combining db's- importing primary keys
Date
List pgsql-general
Bob Gobeille wrote:

> On Jul 29, 2009, at 8:26 AM, nha wrote:
>
>> Hello,

>>> prefix them all with something that's unique to their source database.
>>>
>>> easy to say, hard to do.
>>>

>> A process (and solution) may be different whether:
>> -the master db will replace all other databases (ie. data manipulation
>> would directly perform on data managed by master db);
>> -or the master db will reflect a combined view of data hosted by all
>> other databases (ie. data manipulation would still perform on
>> distributed databases and master db would play a role of federated view);
>> -or both (data manipulation have to be manageable at the both side: on
>> master db and on distributed db).
>
> In my immediate case, I'm simply combining 7 global databases into a
> single master.
>
> Eventually, I would like to allow our (fossology.org) users to subscribe
> to data in other databases.  That is, allow
> users to do periodic one-way batch updates from other servers.

Have you thought about schemas?

You can set up different users with different search paths so all the
data's in one spot, and getting to another schema is easy enough. No
changes necessary to the data itself, just the calling code.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/