Re: Idle processes chewing up CPU? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Idle processes chewing up CPU?
Date
Re: Idle processes chewing up CPU?
List pgsql-general
Craig Ringer wrote:
> Brendan Hill wrote:
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> Given it's on Windows, any suggestion for how I would get hold of this?
>> (Process Monitor tool perhaps?)
>
> I think you can get stack traces from Process Monitor using "Tools ->
> Stack Summary". I find it a bit hard to interpret this data, though, and
> I'm not sure how useful it is for this sort of thing.
>

> [ The following instructions may be put on the PostgreSQL wiki as advice
> for getting debugging details for runaway PostgreSQL processes on
> Windows if desired ]:

Actually, I've expanded on the instructions and done it. See:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Getting_a_stack_trace_of_a_running_PostgreSQL_backend_on_Windows

Accessible from "General Articles and Guides" -> "Troubleshooting" ->
"Generating_a_stack_trace_of_a_PostgreSQL_backend".

It'd be rather helpful if others could fill in the equivalent for gdb on
Linux/bsd/other unix as linked to here:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Generating_a_stack_trace_of_a_PostgreSQL_backend

--
Craig Ringer