Re: Six PostgreSQL questions from a pokerplayer - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: Six PostgreSQL questions from a pokerplayer
Date
List pgsql-performance
Craig Ringer wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-07-04 at 11:51 -0700, Patvs wrote:
>

>> With 4 regular harddisks in RAID0 you get great read/write speeds, but the
>> SSDs excel in IO/s and a 0.1ms access time.
>>

> ... but are often really, really, really, really slow at writing. The
> fancier ones are fast at writing but generally slow down over time.

Also, (probably pointing out the obvious here) to be on the safe side
you should avoid RAID0 for any data that is important to you - as it's
pretty easy to get one bad disk straight from new!

With respect to SSD's one option for a small sized database is 2xSSD in
RAID1 - provided they are the *right* SSD that is, which at this point
in time seems to be the Intel X25E. Note that I have not benchmarked
this configuration, so no guarantees that it (or the Intel SSDs
themselves) are as good as the various on-the-web tests indicate!

regards

Mark