Re: terminate PG connections - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Rafael Martinez
Subject Re: terminate PG connections
Date
List pgsql-admin
Plugge, Joe R. wrote:
> #!/bin//bash
> #
> # Script: pgsession
> # Author: Rao Kumar raokumar@netwolves.com
> # Purpose: Utility to list/kill postgres database user sessions.
> # Comments: Execute this script as "postgres" user (user who runs postmaster)

[............]

Is it safe to kill pg sessions with Postgresql versions < 8.4?

This can be read in the 8.4 release:
"Add pg_terminate_backend() to safely terminate a backend (the SIGTERM
signal works also) (Tom, Bruce)

While it's always been possible to SIGTERM a single backend, this was
previously considered unsupported; and testing of the case found some
bugs that are now fixed."

I don't know what "some bugs that are now fixed" means, but I think I
read somewhere that killing a session with the command kill was not a
god idea.

regards
--
 Rafael Martinez, <r.m.guerrero@usit.uio.no>