Re: PHP cann't access to postgres databse - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: PHP cann't access to postgres databse
Date
Re: PHP cann't access to postgres databse  (Andy Shellam <andy-lists@networkmail.eu>)
List pgsql-admin
Andy Shellam <andy-lists@networkmail.eu> wrote:

> donghe@caltech.edu wrote:
>> Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server:
>> could not connect to server: Permission denied
>>   Is the server running on host "localhost" and accepting
>>   TCP/IP connections on port 5432? "

> Because the error is "Permission denied", I'm guessing it's
> permissions on the /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432 socket that will need
> checking?

If it was trying to get that sort of connection, rather than TCP/IP,
the message would be different.  Something like:

# could not connect to server: No such file or directory
#   Is the server running locally and accepting
#   connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

You do have a point on the "Permission denied", though.  If the
problem was where I was suggesting, it would probably say "Connection
refused".  Perhaps some OS security restriction is in play here.

-Kevin