Re: 2 tables or two db? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Rob Sargent
Subject Re: 2 tables or two db?
Date
List pgsql-sql
ivan marchesini wrote:
> Dear postgres users,
>
> Suppose I have two tables of data.
>
> suppose the two table are really similar in dimensions
>
> suppose they will receive the same number and type of queries.
>
> in tems of performance (velocity of answer) it is better to place the
> two tables in the same db or into two different db?
>
> may be it is a stupid question, but....
>
> many many thanks...
>
>  Ivan

My guess is that only physical separation will have any positive impact
otherwise the two datasets are competing for the same resources.  At
least separate discs, controllers to avoid disc contention.  Separate
postgres instances to allow separate caches (in affect separate memory).