Re: Named transaction - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Named transaction
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>>
>>> AFAIK that's an "autonomous transaction", at least to some other RDBMSs.
>>>

>> Right, but since I had to ask what that was recently I though I'd use a
>> bit more description :-)
>>

> Yes, but some other followups suggest that maybe a "named transaction"
> does something else entirely.  Thus my request for a definition of what
> the OP is actually asking for.

According to the (hard to find) Firebird docs (or rather, the old
Interbase docs, which is all they have):
   A single application can start simultaneous transactions. InterBase   extends transaction   management and data
manipulationstatements to support transaction   names, unique   identifiers that specify which transaction controls a
given  statement among those   transactions that are active.

   Transaction names must be used to distinguish one transaction from   another in programs   that use two or more
transactionsat a time. Each transaction   started while other   transactions are active requires a unique name and its
ownSET   TRANSACTION statement.   SET TRANSACTION can include optional parameters that modify a   transaction’s
behavior.
   There are four steps for using transaction names in a program:   1. Declare a unique host-language variable for each
transaction  name. In C and   C++, transaction names should be declared as long pointers.   2. Initialize each
transactionname to zero.   3. Use SET TRANSACTION to start each transaction using an available   transaction   name.
4.Include the transaction name in subsequent transaction management and   data manipulation statements that should be
controlledby a specified   transaction.

cheers

andrew