Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib
Date
Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib  (Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine@hi-media.com>)
Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 6/5/09 6:27 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Bruce,
>>
>> Assuming a contrib module *hasn't* changed its API, does pg_migrator
>> link against the 8.4 version of the module's .so, or the old 8.3 version?
>
> 8.4 version, or whatever is in the 8.4 lib, which should be 8.4.

So, here's what we need for 8.3 --> 8.4 for contrib modules:

1) make a list of contrib modules which do not convert cleanly (testers?)
2) document these.
3) give pg_migrator some hackish way to install 8.4 contrib modules from
source before copying over the database.
4) set pg_migrator to ignore duplicate object warnings if it does the above.

Note that we expect NOT to have this issue for 8.4-->8.5, since we'll
have a full module infrastructure by then.  Really!

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.